Deputy Director：Gong Guoqiang Dong Xinlin
Members： Qian Guoxiang, Liu Zhendong, Han Jianhua, Liu Tao, Li Chunlin, Shi Zishe, He Suili, Zhang Jianfeng, Liu Rui, Guo Xiaotao, Chen Liangwei, An Jiayao, Xu Longguo, Wang Bo, He Liqun, Yang Yong, Wang Rui, Shen Lihua, Wang Ying
Fields of Research and Academic Projects:
Our major fields of research include: origin and development of ancient cities in China, structure and administration of dynastic capitals from the Han to Tang dynasties, development of the craftsmanship from the Han to Tang, and cultural as well as economic interactions with neighboring countries. Our most recent research focuses on the dynastic capitals from the Han to Tang.
Previous directors of the department include Su Bingqi, Xu Pingfang, Liu Guanmin, Liu Qingzhu, and Meng Fanren. The department is consisted of seven teams with varied academic focuses:
1. Archaeological Team of Chang’an City of the Han
Founded in 1956, this team is responsible for archaeological investigation, survey, excavation, and research concerning the Han capital Chang’an. While emphasizing the exploration of the concrete urban structure, formal features, and cultural remains of Chang’an, members of this team also attempt to place Chang’an in broader contexts such as the historical evolvement of Chinese capital cities and history of the ancient world so as to further elucidate the archaeological features of Chang’an--their origin, later changes, and the underlying historical dynamisms of these changes. Previous and present directors include : Wang Zhongshu (1956-1958), Huang Zhanyue (1958-1962), Li Yuchun (1975-1984), Liu Qingzhu (1985-1992), and Li Yufang (1992-present). Since its birth, the team has conducted following archaeological excavations: city gates of Bacheng, Xi’an , Zhicheng, and Xuanping; ritual complex at the southern suburb of Chang’an; remains of military storehouses; architectural foundations of Changle Palace at Luozhai Village; areas A and B of the front hall of Weiyang Palace; site of Jiaofang Hall; site of central governmental seat; sites of Palace Workshops (shaofu) and other administrative buildings; Guigong Palace; remains of the southwest corner tower; sites pertaining to industries of pottery making, metallurgy, and coin making.
Eighteen brief archaeological reports have been published on these excavations. A comprehensive report ‘Weiyang Palace of the Han Chang’an City’ was published in 1996. Two other comprehensive reports, ‘Military Storehouses of the Han Chang’an’ and ‘Ritual Complexes at the Southern Suburb of the Han Chang’an City’ are in the process of compilation.
An ongoing project of the team is a joint excavation of the Guigong Palace with Nara National Cultural Heritage Research Institute, Japan.
2. Team of Luoyang City from the Han to Wei Dynasties
The team was founded in 1962. Previous administrators are Xu Jingyuan and Duan Pengqi. Current director is Qian Guoxiang.
The team is responsible for comprehensive and systematic investigation of Luoyang City of the Han and Wei dynasties. The team attempts to gradually enrich relevant material data through archaeological surveys and excavations. Its ultimate goal is to conduct a synthetic study on the city, employing both textual and archaeological materials.
Since 1960s the team has excavated a criminal cemetery of the Eastern Han, Piyong, Lingtai, and Mingtang ritual complexes of the Han and Jin dynasties, remains of the Yongning Temple of the Northern Wei period, funerary parks of the Eastern Han, and the Jingling Mausoleum of Xuanwu Emperor of the Northern Wei. As well, the team has long conducted archaeological works on the layout of Han and Wei Luoyang City. Recent research focuses on the formal structure of the Palace City from the Han to Wei Dynasty.
3. Team of Yecheng City
Established in 1983, the team’s major academic responsibility is to investigate the layout and structure of Yecheng City of the Wei and Northern Dynasties. The team has surveyed and conducted test excavations in the north city and the south city of Yecheng. It has also investigated and excavated remains related to imperial mausoleums in the vicinity of Yecheng City, such as the remains of Zhuming city gate and imperial tombs of the Northern Qi. Previous and present directors include Xu Guangji, Zhao Yonghong, and Zhu Yanshi
4. Team of Luoyang City of the Tang Dynasty
Established in the 1950s, the team is responsible for the research of Luoyang City, the east capital of the Sui and Tang dynasties. Its previous and current directors include: Chen Jiuheng (1959-1983), Feng Chengze (1983-1986), Wang Yan (1986-1995), and Chen Liangwei (1996-present).
The team’s archaeological works have undergone two periods. During the first period, that is, from 1959 to 1986, the team attempted to investigate the overall urban layout of the east capital of the Sui and Tang dynasties as well as its later development mainly through planned archaeological excavations together with chance excavations required by building activities. The second period is from 1986 to 1999. In step with the changed working conditions, the team has refocused its research on the detailed formal changes of the Palace City, the Royal City, the Suburb City, as well as the formal features of some important palaces, city walls, and city gates.
As the capital of nine dynasties, Luoyang City understandably presents to its excavators varied cultural phenomena, spanning several different historical periods. Thus, in addition to archaeological works centering on the city itself, the team has also included the following works on its agenda: investigation and study of the sites and tombs of the Eastern Zhou, Han, and Wei and Jin dynasties; investigation of the tombs and royal palaces out of the capital (ligong) of the Sui and Tang.
5. Team of Xi’an of the Tang
Established in the late 1950s, the team takes as its major academic goal the comprehensive survey, excavation, and study of Chang’an City of the Tang. Ma Dezhi served as its former director. Current director is An Jiayao. Major excavations include: Daminggong Palace, Hanyuan Hall, Linde Hall, Xuanwu City Gate, Chongxuan City Gate, and Xingqing Palace. Archaeological works have also been conducted in the East and West Markets, Mingde Gate, the Qinglong Temple, Ximing Temple, Jiucheng Palace, and Huanqiu (ritual altar) site.
6. Team of Yangzhou of the Sui and Tang
In order to conduct archaeological work of Yangzhou City, the institute, together with Nanjing Museum and YangZhou City Cultural Bureau, established an joint archaeological team of Yangzhou City of the Sui and Tang in 1986. Former directors are Xu Pingfang and Jiang Zhongyi. Current director is An Jiayao.
The team’s academic goal is to investigate the scale, layout, founding date of the city, and the cultural objects acquired through archaeological methods. Decades of survey, excavations, and study have revealed some major features of the city. Major excavations include: northwest corner of the inner city of the Tang, west gate of the outer city, tunnel and aqueduct remains, and west as well as east city gates of the Song Dynasty.
June 26，2014 updated